THESE ALBUM REVIEWS ARE FAVOURITES FROM MY OWN VAST AND VARIED ECLECTIC COLLECTION! I AM A FAN OF THESE ARTISTS SO MY OPINIONS MAY NOT BE ON A PAR WITH YOUR OWN BUT PLEASE ENJOY AND MAYBE THERE ARE SOME ALBUMS YOU MAY LIKE TO SAMPLE FOR YOURSELF OUT OF CURIOSITY :)
"EAT TO THE BEAT"
This album was Blondie at their peak of their powers, the fourth album seems to get overlooked when fans name their favourite album by the band, most preferring the classic Punk Pop of their previous albums. This was the album that was just superb throughout and the first "video album" that was ever made, where each song had a promo. I was already a fan of the band and of course like very young man at this time I had a big crush on lead singer Debbie Harry!
"Eat To The Beat" should have been the platform for ultimate domination but the next album "Autoamerican" for me was a big disappointment although brave experimentally. This set included the 3 hit singles, the fast uptempo New Wave classic "Dreaming" the atmospheric apocalyptic anthemic number one "Atomic" and "Union City Blue", a light sultry playful number in the usual Blondie style.
"The Hardest Part" is one of my favourite tracks and although wasn't released as a single in the UK it was in USA. A Funky electro sounding uptempo groove with a video that has Debbie in brunette wig, dark shades and a black split dress that oozes sex appeal. Ironically the blonde bombshell became the brunette beauty! It is classic Blondie for a new age.
"Shayla" is a gorgeous slow ballad, almost Motown sounding with a hint of Country guitar playing thrown in for good measure, backing the sweet vocals from Debbie.
"Eat To The Beat" is a manic fast Punk rocker that is similar in composition to "Detroit 442" from "Plastic Letters" while "Accidents Never Happen" has an opening similar to "Maria" on Blondie's comeback album "No Exit" of 1999 and is in the typical Blondie vein, keeping their Punk and New Wave roots.
"Die Young Stay Pretty" is a favourite of mine, its Reggae style suiting Debbie's vocals beautifully. I like the line "deteriorate in your own time", sometimes the stars of today just want to crucify themselves for success and they have nothing to look back on because they're not around anymore.
"Slow Motion" is another Motown style with harmonising backing echoes like the old 60s classics and is followed by a really lovely lullaby-esque track called "Sound-A-Sleep", and trust me you can fall asleep to Debbie's sweet voice quite easily here!
"Victor" is probably my least favourite personally, lots of screaming, chanting and heavy music in the background. Maybe I have just been spoiled with all the great quality tracks here that I missed something I don't know.
"Living In The Real World" ends the album on a high note much like it started. A heavy Rock sound akin to the Runaways or any of the girl Metal bands, top stuff!
CHECK NEW MUSIC EAR FOR MORE COLLECTION FAVOURITES!
- JACK SAVORETTI
- KINA GRANNIS
- HAPPY HALLOWEEN - Scary rockers special!
- BECKY G
- BETTY WHO
- FIRE TIGER
- NOTHING BUT THIEVES
- RADIO DRIVE
- SABRINA CARPENTER
- FOREVER STILL
- SEASON OF GHOSTS
- WHAT MAKES AN IDOL AND ICON?
- WHITNEY ROSE
- THE RUA
- WOLF ALICE
- CHASING DRAGONS
- FIVE A.M.
- REQUESTED ALBUM REVIEW - THE FIREFLYS - "THE ILLUM...
- THE SOAPGIRLS
- MIRANDA MULHOLLAND
- RACHEL COLLIS
- REQUESTED ALBUM REVIEW - VIRGINIA HAZE - "GENUINE"...
- THE APRIL MAZE
- SUNNY OZELL
- CLEAN CUT KID
- HANNAH BOLEYN
- PRINCE ROGERS NELSON- A PERSONAL NEW MUSIC EAR TRI...
- MOOSE BLOOD
- MEILYR JONES
- SUNFLOWER BEAN
- WHITE DENIM
- ANNA MADSEN
- FRANKI LOVE
- ABIGAIL BLAKE/HYDRA LERNA
- JOSEPH & MAIA
- BLAIR DUNLOP
- TEN MILLENNIA
- THE AMAZONS
- STEEL BLOSSOMS
- CHRISTMAS IS ABOUT LOVE, FUN AND SNOW!NOT MONEY MA...
- LITTLE FOLK
- STARLIGHT CITY
- THE ARGUES
- REQUESTED ALBUM REVIEW - THE CORRIDORS - "END OF T...
- REQUESTED ALBUM REVIEW - MARIKA RAUSCHER - "A BROK...
- NIA WYN
- REQUESTED E.P. REVIEW - SONIC CARTEL - "SONIC CART...
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - ADAM & THE ANTS "KING...
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - DURAN DURAN "RIO"
- LUCY ZIRINS
- KALEB MCKANE
- HAVE DJ's AND PRODUCERS KILLED THE ART OF THE SONG...
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - BON JOVI "SLIPPERY WH...
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - BLONDIE "EAT TO THE B...
- STARTS HILL
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - EUROPE "THE FINAL COU...
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - SPANDAU BALLET "TRUE"...
- ELSA CHAPMAN
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - INXS "LISTEN LIKE THI...
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - MADONNA "LIKE A PRAYE...
- CURSE OF LONO
- CHANCE MCKINNEY
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - ERASURE "THE INNOCENT...
- LUNA BLUE
- AMELIA LAPPERT
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLY...
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - TORI AMOS "LITTLE EAR...