Sunny Ozell is a singer-songwriter from Reno, Nevada in the United States. To get it out of the way, yes she is married to one of my favourite actors and people, Sir Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard, Professor X). I could listen to Mr Stewart talking about anything and like him, Sunny has a stunning voice that draws you in on first listen, makes you want to hear more.
An established vocalist and musician (playing violin from age 4, took vocal training at age 11 and joined the Reno Opera Company at age 12 as the only child member!). During her student years at university she majored in English Literature while playing with Blues bands and Soul-Funk bands through these education years. After graduating New York saw her regularly playing gigs performing her own takes on classics from Country, Blues and Soul artists mixing with original material. From an early age she knew music was her path, regularly listening to Fleetwood Mac, Janis Joplin and The Moody Blues from her dad's vinyl collection.
Sunny has made records and toured with Chupacabra, an Afro-Cuban-Latin-Jazz ten piece band but healbum released in 2015 , "Take It With Me" is considered to be her solo "debut". She describes her music as a "mix of soul, blues, country, Americana, and pop". I first heard this lady on the trak "Git Gone", a foot tapping Blues/Country stomper. The album was apparently recorded live in just 4 days, on it she puts soulful twists on songs by Tom Waits, Randy Newman and Roy Orbison!
I especially like the reworking of "No One Is To Blame" by 80s star Howard Jones, a gorgeous Jazzy feel and lush vocals make this a very nice cover version. The beautiful rendition of Randy Newman's "Louisiana" is also a stand out track on the album. Let's hope we hear more from this lady, she has a fabulous voice and talent.
Popular posts from this blog
- KINA GRANNIS
- NEW MUSIC EAR HALLOWEEN SPECIAL - "SCARY ROCKERS!"...
- BECKY G
- BETTY WHO
- FIRE TIGER
- NOTHING BUT THIEVES
- SABRINA CARPENTER
- FOREVER STILL
- SEASON OF GHOSTS
- DEBATE ARTICLE - "WHAT MAKES AN IDOL AND ICON?"
- THE RUA
- WOLF ALICE
- CHASING DRAGONS
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - THE FIREFLYS - "THE ILLUM...
- MIRANDA MULHOLLAND
- RACHEL COLLIS
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - VIRGINIA HAZE - "GENUINE"...
- THE APRIL MAZE
- SUNNY OZELL
- HANNAH BOLEYN
- THEME ARTICLE - "NEW MUSIC EAR'S TRIBUTE TO A MUSI...
- MOOSE BLOOD
- MEILYR JONES
- SUNFLOWER BEAN
- FRANKI LOVE
- ABIGAIL BLAKE/HYDRA LERNA
- JOSEPH & MAIA
- NEW MUSIC EAR CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - "LOVE, FUN AND S...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - INDIE ROCK BAND "THE ARGUES"
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - THE CORRIDORS - "END OF T...
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - MARIKA RAUSCHER - "A BROK...
- NEW MUSIC E.P. REVIEW - SONIC CARTEL - "SONIC CART...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - ADAM & THE ANTS - "KINGS OF...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - DURAN DURAN - "RIO"
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - BLUES AND COUNTRY ARTIST "LUCY...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - ROCK ARTIST "KALEB MCKANE"
- DEBATE ARTICLE - "HAVE DJ's AND PRODUCERS TAKEN OV...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - BON JOVI - "SLIPPERY WHEN W...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - BLONDIE - "EAT TO THE BEAT"...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - ROCK BAND "STARTS HILL"
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - EUROPE - "THE FINAL COUNTDO...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - FOLK AND BLUES ARTIST "SEPHTY"...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - SPANDAU BALLET - "TRUE"
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - SOUL ARTIST "ELSA CHAPMAN"
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - INXS - "LISTEN LIKE THIEVES...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - MADONNA - "LIKE A PRAYER"
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - ALTERNATIVE ROCK BAND "CURSE O...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - COUNTRY ROCK ARTIST "CHANCE MC...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - ERASURE - "THE INNOCENTS"
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD -...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - TORI AMOS - "LITTLE EARTHQU...