THESE ALBUM REVIEWS ARE FAVOURITES FROM MY OWN VAST AND VARIED ECLECTIC COLLECTION! I AM A FAN OF THESE ARTISTS SO MY OPINIONS MAY NOT BE ON A PAR WITH YOUR OWN BUT PLEASE ENJOY AND MAYBE THERE ARE SOME ALBUMS YOU MAY LIKE TO SAMPLE FOR YOURSELF OUT OF CURIOSITY :)
I always really liked Duran Duran and I have all their albums, there was supposed to be some rivalry with Spandau Ballet although later denied, I am a fan of both. Both matured visually and musically with every album and having loved the self titled debut set I was curious to what Simon Le Bon and the boys would come up with for the follow up.
The band hit the charts with ease during their first album reign so how would they cope with all the new attention from the music press and beyond, would it hinder their progress? No is the answer. "Rio" is for me the best album they have made and a tour de force sequel. There were still hints of the sharp Electro Pop and catchy choruses of the previous set but the musical backing was more grown up in terms of superb melodies and the maturing lyrics.
From the four hit singles on the album only "My Own Way" did not make the top 10, which ironically was the track that could have been on the first album in terms of style. "Rio" and "Hungry Like The Wolf" were classy Pop tracks, one taking you to a hot sunny beach and the other a good 80s singalong but not one of my favourites I have to say. "Save A Prayer" is superb, a big favourite of mine and lots of fans I think. Just a really heartwarming song, great lyrics and an accomplished song all round.
"Lonely In Your Nightmare" is an unusual one, it reminds me a little of a Gary Numan track in his prime, with its mix of haunting guitars and electronics. However, the chorus is quite catchy and its a nice song. "Hold Back The Rain" is similar but a little more upbeat with a powerful chorus.
"New Religion" is one of my favourite Duran Duran tracks, Simon's vocas really suit this mix of singing and speaking and a great chorus. Love this track on the live Arena album, would have been a great single.
A perfect fit for the whole style of this album, similar to "Rio" and "Hungry Like The Wolf" but without the catchy choruses. A great uptempo song nonetheless.
The album finishes with the classy "The Chauffeur", its mysterious, dark and and minimal but has a medieval feel and its a big favourite of mine, I think its probably not chart material which shows the band's experimental side which came through in later albums. This is the kind of track I like, the "fans favourites" not the public popularity chart buffs.
CHECK NEW MUSIC EAR FOR MORE COLLECTION FAVOURITES!
Popular posts from this blog
- KINA GRANNIS
- NEW MUSIC EAR HALLOWEEN SPECIAL - "SCARY ROCKERS!"...
- BECKY G
- BETTY WHO
- FIRE TIGER
- NOTHING BUT THIEVES
- SABRINA CARPENTER
- FOREVER STILL
- SEASON OF GHOSTS
- DEBATE ARTICLE - "WHAT MAKES AN IDOL AND ICON?"
- THE RUA
- WOLF ALICE
- CHASING DRAGONS
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - THE FIREFLYS - "THE ILLUM...
- MIRANDA MULHOLLAND
- RACHEL COLLIS
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - VIRGINIA HAZE - "GENUINE"...
- THE APRIL MAZE
- SUNNY OZELL
- HANNAH BOLEYN
- THEME ARTICLE - "NEW MUSIC EAR'S TRIBUTE TO A MUSI...
- MOOSE BLOOD
- MEILYR JONES
- SUNFLOWER BEAN
- FRANKI LOVE
- ABIGAIL BLAKE/HYDRA LERNA
- JOSEPH & MAIA
- NEW MUSIC EAR CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - "LOVE, FUN AND S...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - INDIE ROCK BAND "THE ARGUES"
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - THE CORRIDORS - "END OF T...
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - MARIKA RAUSCHER - "A BROK...
- NEW MUSIC E.P. REVIEW - SONIC CARTEL - "SONIC CART...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - ADAM & THE ANTS - "KINGS OF...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - DURAN DURAN - "RIO"
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - BLUES AND COUNTRY ARTIST "LUCY...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - ROCK ARTIST "KALEB MCKANE"
- DEBATE ARTICLE - "HAVE DJ's AND PRODUCERS TAKEN OV...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - BON JOVI - "SLIPPERY WHEN W...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - BLONDIE - "EAT TO THE BEAT"...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - ROCK BAND "STARTS HILL"
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - EUROPE - "THE FINAL COUNTDO...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - FOLK AND BLUES ARTIST "SEPHTY"...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - SPANDAU BALLET - "TRUE"
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - SOUL ARTIST "ELSA CHAPMAN"
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - INXS - "LISTEN LIKE THIEVES...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - MADONNA - "LIKE A PRAYER"
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - ALTERNATIVE ROCK BAND "CURSE O...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - COUNTRY ROCK ARTIST "CHANCE MC...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - ERASURE - "THE INNOCENTS"
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD -...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - TORI AMOS - "LITTLE EARTHQU...