Wolf Alice are an Alternative Rock quartet comprising of singer Ellie Rowsell, guitarist Joff Oddie, drummer Joel Amey and bassist Theo Ellis. After two E.P's "Blush" and "Creature Songs" they released the debut album "My Love Is Cool" in 2015. Attracting rave reviews and media attention it was nominated for a Mercury Prize.
The band play a powerful, almost Grunge, almost Electronic atmospheric Rock with hints to 90s bands such as Garbage and Elastica. The music is such an interesting and intriguing mix it is hard to ignore. I first saw the video to "Freazy" with its Stone Roses "Fools Gold" drumbeat, engaging haunting vocals but in an upbeat melodious style. I couldn't decide if it reminded me of Smashing Pumpkins or Morcheeba. I thought this band are something a little different!
In 2013 the band were chosen as the single most blogged about artist in the UK by BBC Radio 6 Music. I guess its time they arrived on New Music Ear! At the UK Festival Awards they were named Best Breakthrough Artist in 2014. The aforementioned debut album "My Love Is Cool".
The album is a compelling piece of many parts. The song "Silk" kind of explains this, at one moment, atmospheric, haunting, then chanting, child-like sing a long, then powerful vocals. This gives you an indication of the whole album. Brilliantly created songs with a little bit of everything. "Giant Peach" is a total Rock out hybrid of The Bangles and Elastica, while the opener "Turn To Dust" is similar to Kate Bush meets Smashing Pumpkins! "Swallowtail" is only missing The Stone Roses' Ian Brown, it is perfect anthemic 90s hippie Rock. Watch out for this band!
Popular posts from this blog
- KINA GRANNIS
- NEW MUSIC EAR HALLOWEEN SPECIAL - "SCARY ROCKERS!"...
- BECKY G
- BETTY WHO
- NOTHING BUT THIEVES
- SABRINA CARPENTER
- FOREVER STILL
- SEASON OF GHOSTS
- DEBATE ARTICLE - "WHAT MAKES AN IDOL AND ICON?"
- THE RUA
- WOLF ALICE
- CHASING DRAGONS
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - THE FIREFLYS - "THE ILLUM...
- MIRANDA MULHOLLAND
- RACHEL COLLIS
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - VIRGINIA HAZE - "GENUINE"...
- THE APRIL MAZE
- SUNNY OZELL
- HANNAH BOLEYN
- THEME ARTICLE - "NEW MUSIC EAR'S TRIBUTE TO A MUSI...
- MOOSE BLOOD
- MEILYR JONES
- SUNFLOWER BEAN
- FRANKI LOVE
- ABIGAIL BLAKE/HYDRA LERNA
- JOSEPH & MAIA
- NEW MUSIC EAR CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - "LOVE, FUN AND S...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - INDIE ROCK BAND "THE ARGUES"
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - THE CORRIDORS - "END OF T...
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - MARIKA RAUSCHER - "A BROK...
- NEW MUSIC E.P. REVIEW - SONIC CARTEL - "SONIC CART...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - ADAM & THE ANTS - "KINGS OF...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - DURAN DURAN - "RIO"
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - BLUES AND COUNTRY ARTIST "LUCY...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - ROCK ARTIST "KALEB MCKANE"
- DEBATE ARTICLE - "HAVE DJ's AND PRODUCERS TAKEN OV...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - BON JOVI - "SLIPPERY WHEN W...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - BLONDIE - "EAT TO THE BEAT"...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - ROCK BAND "STARTS HILL"
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - EUROPE - "THE FINAL COUNTDO...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - FOLK AND BLUES ARTIST "SEPHTY"...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - SPANDAU BALLET - "TRUE"
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - SOUL ARTIST "ELSA CHAPMAN"
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - INXS - "LISTEN LIKE THIEVES...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - MADONNA - "LIKE A PRAYER"
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - ALTERNATIVE ROCK BAND "CURSE O...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - COUNTRY ROCK ARTIST "CHANCE MC...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - ERASURE - "THE INNOCENTS"
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD -...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - TORI AMOS - "LITTLE EARTHQU...