January (Thompson) is a singer/songwriter who makes a sound involving ambient and electronic sounds creating an atmospheric feel backing her pure harmonious vocals. Her debut album in 2008 prompted critics to liken her sound to Tori Amos and Kate Bush.
I hear a lot of Sarah McLachlan in her music and her latest album, "Whelmed" is full of emotive, almost haunting music with beautifully sung heartfelt lyrics. "Careful What You Tell The Sky", the debut set included the Oriental sounding title track and the almost Medieval backing of "Beautiful Ache".
This lady obviously likes to experiment and push the boundaries when it comes to making music. The way she uniquely combines mysterious harmonies, backing of different eras and times and her sweet, pure vocals that can switch to Classical is an intriguing mix!
The "Whelmed" album contains more of the same experimentation with the Evanescence style of "Too Soon" and "Delicate" which reminds me of a Goth/Punk vibe akin to Siouxsie And The Banshees. The title track is just a beautiful song, almost Classical but with an ambient soundtrack, this lady is going to be huge! January released a new single especially for Valentine's Day called "You For Me" in February 2018
Popular posts from this blog
- THE FIREFLYS
- THE SPASE
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - BILLY JOEL "AN INNOCE...
- REQUESTED ALBUM REVIEW - JEFF McCALL - "NIGHT LIFE...
- REQUESTED SINGLES REVIEW - ALEXIS - "SWEET ANGEL"&...
- HUDSON TAYLOR
- GUEST BLOG - TOP TIPS FOR ASPIRING COMPOSERS - FRO...
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - THE ICICLE WORKS "THE...
- NEW MUSIC EAR'S FAVOURITES - THE MISSION "CARVED I...
- NIA WYN