Welsh singer-songwriter Meilyr Jones apparently became inspired after a trip to Rome to get away from the break up of his relationship at the time and his band Race Horses. He has just released his debut album, "2013" which has a full orchestra sound. Listening to Meilyr (pronounced "May" as in the month and "lyr" as in lyric!) it reminds me of a little Talk Talk, a little Divine Comedy and in some cases even Buddy Holly! The music is quirky, inventive and a very enjoyable listen.
Meilyr's music ranges from the deeply emotional and sombre to the quirky, funny and upbeat. The Welshman's first single "Refugees" is a piano led pretty song while "How To Recognise A Work Of Art" is a jolly, upbeat, fully orchestrated number accompanied by equally crazy video. This is where I got the Divine Comedy comparison when I watched it, it reminded me of something Neil Hannon would write!
Meilyr's debut album, "2013" contains my favourite track "Strange Emotional" which is a mish mash of 80s Rock riffs, psychedelic screams, and and Edwyn Collins (Orange Juice)/Buddy Holly vocalised hybrid. Sounds weird and shouldn't work but it does! The album also contains Meilyr's 3 singles, the previously mentioned "Refugees", "How To Recognise A Work Of Art" and "Don Juan".
Meilyr is currently touring the U.K. and is sure to be a big star with his unique style. Other favourites of mine on the album are the whimsical sweet "Rome" and the extremely mix of Progressive Rock, Hippie and Dexys Midnight Runenrs backing. yes it really is that mad! Interesting guy and interesting album!
Popular posts from this blog
- KINA GRANNIS
- NEW MUSIC EAR HALLOWEEN SPECIAL - "SCARY ROCKERS!"...
- BECKY G
- BETTY WHO
- FIRE TIGER
- NOTHING BUT THIEVES
- SABRINA CARPENTER
- FOREVER STILL
- SEASON OF GHOSTS
- DEBATE ARTICLE - "WHAT MAKES AN IDOL AND ICON?"
- THE RUA
- WOLF ALICE
- CHASING DRAGONS
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - THE FIREFLYS - "THE ILLUM...
- MIRANDA MULHOLLAND
- RACHEL COLLIS
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - VIRGINIA HAZE - "GENUINE"...
- THE APRIL MAZE
- SUNNY OZELL
- HANNAH BOLEYN
- THEME ARTICLE - "NEW MUSIC EAR'S TRIBUTE TO A MUSI...
- MOOSE BLOOD
- MEILYR JONES
- SUNFLOWER BEAN
- FRANKI LOVE
- ABIGAIL BLAKE/HYDRA LERNA
- JOSEPH & MAIA
- NEW MUSIC EAR CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - "LOVE, FUN AND S...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - INDIE ROCK BAND "THE ARGUES"
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - THE CORRIDORS - "END OF T...
- NEW MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW - MARIKA RAUSCHER - "A BROK...
- NEW MUSIC E.P. REVIEW - SONIC CARTEL - "SONIC CART...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - ADAM & THE ANTS - "KINGS OF...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - DURAN DURAN - "RIO"
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - BLUES AND COUNTRY ARTIST "LUCY...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - ROCK ARTIST "KALEB MCKANE"
- DEBATE ARTICLE - "HAVE DJ's AND PRODUCERS TAKEN OV...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - BON JOVI - "SLIPPERY WHEN W...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - BLONDIE - "EAT TO THE BEAT"...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - ROCK BAND "STARTS HILL"
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - EUROPE - "THE FINAL COUNTDO...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - FOLK AND BLUES ARTIST "SEPHTY"...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - SPANDAU BALLET - "TRUE"
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - SOUL ARTIST "ELSA CHAPMAN"
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - INXS - "LISTEN LIKE THIEVES...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - MADONNA - "LIKE A PRAYER"
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - ALTERNATIVE ROCK BAND "CURSE O...
- NEW MUSIC PROFILE - COUNTRY ROCK ARTIST "CHANCE MC...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - ERASURE - "THE INNOCENTS"
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD -...
- CLASSIC ALBUM REVIEW - TORI AMOS - "LITTLE EARTHQU...